Saturday, March 30, 2013

God Starts Here

Once upon a time, there seemed to be a lot of message tees. I was going to jump on that bandwagon and I had some good ideas! I shared them with a few close friends and they were all very impressed. I was encouraged to learn photoshop, and then figured I would need to learn to silkscreen, invest in the equipment, set it up next to my untouched guitars, banjo, and ukulele from my stint as a singer/songwriter, all while working my day job, trying to get my acting career going, fitting in yoga 4 times a week, some downtime (because, geesh, if not I would go insane) and finally some semblance of a social life. No, I know, why didn't I just ask someone to help me? That will be my second blog post.

One of my ideas was "God Starts Here" with an arrow pointing to a human heart. This was after 9/11 when everyone seemed to be claiming their rightful understanding of God, being a Christian, being a Muslim, what it meant to be American, a patriot...Do you remember all that? Oh, good, so I don't have to repeat it here.

Well, the tee shirt hasn't happened...yet (I don't know, are message tees even still a thing?)..but in the meantime, it is perfectly suitable as my blog name.

Today I took a walk in Central Park, enjoying our first real taste of Spring here in the city and realized the last time I walked through the park was New Year's Eve. That was a very different walk...

I chose to sweat out the Christmas season like a fever rather than tag along as an orphan to someone else's Christmas jam. I found myself mostly alone with plenty of time on my hands to take a long, difficult look at my life. 'Tis the season for that, I suppose, but usually it's just a reel in your head while you're smiling, surrounded by people you are growing increasingly annoyed and disappointed with as well as your own self before returning to the status quo.

I got so overwhelmed by what I saw: creative paralysis, relationship paralysis, career paralysis, that I considered checking into a hospital. I KNOW! That is so dramatic! But seriously: I wanted to check out. Something seemed unstoppable and ugly and I was powerless against it and it's unchanging-ness. I wanted to be strapped to a bed with healthcare professionals looking after me, hopefully sedating me til the fever (or Christmas) passed.

I stuck it out though. I took it breath by breath, step by step, like holding utkatasana in a hot yoga class. It was burning, I was cursing and shaking and feeling awkward and vulnerable, but I held on to the truth I know as a yogini: the only way past it is through it. That is where rebirth and change happens...where you transcend, and touch the divine...or at least enjoy a sweet savasana at the end of class.

Now it's Easter/Passover. and on my walk today, I was thinking, what a miracle that you can be reborn. You can reinvent yourself. You can start again and again and again. God starts here. Then here and here and here: This breath. This heartbeat. This step.

My Christmas "holding of utkatasana" turned out to be a huge gift to myself.

This blog may be about what's eating Leigh Ann Cobb (no--not like that) or what Leigh Ann Cobb is eating, or a beauty product I like, a lesson from one of my fantastic yoga teachers or yoga students, or a story or observation.

I hope you enjoy...and let's bring back the message tees.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. Gonna share with Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and good luck! I'll be reading (no pressure). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're taking the plunge and starting this blog! Great article, Leigh Ann.

    ReplyDelete